Wednesday, October 28, 2015

My Attempt at Shattered Glass Nails

Hey there!  As with many of you, last week I saw a whole bunch of posts online about the latest nail art trend...shattered glass nails.  I thought they looked really cool so this past weekend I thought it'd be a good time to try it out.  I headed to the dollar store looking for iridescent film but all I could find were gift bows.  I grabbed a couple of them (to see which ones looked better) and went to town with a pair of scissors and a lot of time and top coat.



Here's a photo of the bow that I used.  I only ended up using a few centimetres of it.  I think I could do this nail art a thousand more times and still have left overs.  The neat thing is that in normal light, this bow looked orange but against a dark background it looks green.  


For my base color I used two coats of OPI I Saw...U Saw...We Saw...Warsaw.  Then I used a non-quick dry top coat to make it sticky so the pieces of film would stick to it.  


The film didn't lay completely flat so I had to use A LOT of top coat to ensure there weren't ends sticking through (that would've drove me mad when I wore them).  By a lot of top coat, I mean like 4-6 coats.  The pieces I used that I laid down in the same direction as my nail weren't as bad but the horizonal pieces stuck up...take that as a lesson if you feel like trying it.  Unfortunately I think all the top coat in addition to the non-flatness of the pieces resulted in bubble city.  Luckily they weren't visible to the average person but in photos they sure did show up.  


Other than the bubbles I thought these were pretty darn cool, especially with the green-blue shift that the pieces had.  They were definitely shiny and flashy!  


What do you think?  Have you tried this yet?  Will you?

'Til next time...


No comments: