Monday, January 12, 2015

The Digit-al Dozen Does Fairy Tales: Day 1 Fairy Tale Book Cover

Hey there!  Did you see the title?!  I have been invited to be part of The Digit-al Dozen!  I have been such a huge fan of this group of nail artists for so long that, the day I was invited, I was convinced that my invitation was a mistake but it wasn't!  In fact, it was the best birthday gift I could have asked for!  The veterans of the group have been very supportive of us newbies as we embark on the first Digit-al Dozen theme for 2015.  The theme is Fairy Tales which has been a challenging one for me.  As you'll see this week, I went all over the place with it so I'm sure I'll be doing lots of explaining.  

Today I'm showing the first fairy tale-themed mani I thought of and it turned out to be one of my favourites.  My middle sister bought me this Grimm's Fairy Tales book a year or two ago because I loved the cover of it.  It looks all scary and ominous, like old fairy tales are if you read them.  We're all used to fairy tales with their happy endings but some of them are downright terrifying!  So here's a sort of haunted forest for today.



As usual, I still want to show the different steps of what I did.  So I started with two coats of Zoya Claire, a deep deep burgundy red, as a base color.



Then I gradiented it with black, A England Camelot.  Am I the only one who dies for a red/black gradient?


Then the challenging part for me and my lack of freehand skills....getting something resembling this book only my nails...


At first I wanted to foil stamp the leaves but that wasn't working so I tried freehanding the leaves with A England Perceval, a metallic red.  For the gnarled tree faces, I used Zoya Pepper and black acrylic paint and a lot of imagination to try to picture those as faces, haha!  Here they are with HK Girl top coat.


But I thought it would look better matte so I mattified with OPI Matte Top coat.




Well I hope my first Digit-al Dozen post hasn't disappointed you.  I'm really looking forward to this new challenge with these lovely ladies!  Now let's go check out what the others have come up with for this difficult theme.

'Til next time...



No comments: